Helping you to create the life you want in your retirement
You may want to work until your last breath. Or you may desire to retire much earlier. The sooner you start planning, the better you may be financially prepared to live as a retiree. Give yourself the best chance to have a secure future by making plans now.
At Carrick, we assist you to formulate your financial goals and priorities. Once you have clear focus about what you wish to achieve, we will recommend fixed steps for you to meet these goals. We take away the worry and confusion from the decision-making by supporting you during this process. For example, we may offer you advice on how you should apportion your investments or demonstrate to you how certain decisions may affect your taxes on draw down and your estate.
For many, a key part of retirement planning is their pension. By diversifying your pension – that is, spreading the investment risk across different markets – you could earn more in certain of those markets and minimise the possibility of risking your full pension.
The advisers at Carrick have years of experience in the financial services sector and, particularly, when it comes to retirement planning. No other brokerage can better the advice that we will offer you. When you plan with us regarding what to do with your pension, you know that you will be saving yourself time, money and worry.
Self-Invested Personal Pensions (SIPPs)
More flexibility and greater autonomy
Self-Invested Personal Pensions (SIPPs) are best suited to investors who want greater control over their wealth and financial assets.
SIPPs are pensions that hold investments until you retire and start to draw a retirement income. They work in a similar way to a standard personal pension but the main difference is that, with a SIPP, you have more flexibility to choose your investments.
SIPPs give you the freedom to choose and manage your own investments.
- 100% Control and wide choice of risk appropriate investments
- You can consolidate multiple pension schemes
- Flexi Access from age 55 or GAD rates
- Pension Commencement Lumpsum (PCLS) a guaranteed 25%
- Approved by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
Qualifying Non-UK Pension Scheme (QNUPS)
Significant tax advantages with flexibility
A Qualifying Non-UK Pension Scheme (QNUPS) has a few tax advantages that can appeal to an investor. The rules of a QNUPS also allow investors to pay contributions into the scheme, or from transfer of a QROPS.
They are ideal for UK citizens who live in the UK or elsewhere and who want to retire, at some point, in the UK.
You can pay into QNUPS with cash, assets and even a residential property. How flexible is that! Your pension fund suddenly becomes a dynamic asset that can be made use of in so many ways.
You can even withdraw a lump sum and still invest. You can’t do that with a QROPS. You can keep paying into the QNUPS and withdraw a regular income after retirement. This means that you can keep on working for as long as you want, or not. There are no employment rules preventing you from contributing to the pension scheme.
- You don’t need to be employed to make contributions
- No capital gains tax
- No lifetime limits on fund size
- No investment restrictions: you can invest, or withdraw, in any currency
- Possible exemption from UK inheritance tax
- Contributions can be made from any source, not just income
- Additional benefit of local tax efficiencies.
Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes (ROPS)
Flexible with favourable pension benefits
Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes (ROPS, formerly known as QROPS) are pensions based in offshore financial centres that offer flexibility and control.
It means your UK pension can be transferred to a recognised HM Revenue Customs (HMRC) jurisdiction offshore, giving benefits often unavailable to UK-based retirement savers.
If you’ve been a non-UK tax resident for at least ten years, the full benefits of the ROPS provisions will be available to you.
What a ROP can do for you
- A lump sum of up to 25% can be withdrawn
- Easily pass on wealth to any beneficiary
- Flexible income draw-down rules
- Greater investment flexibility
- Avoid currency exchange rate fluctuations
- Transparent charges
- Consolidate multiple pensions into one easy to manage scheme
- No Lifetime Allowance (LTA) charge
Retirement Annuity Trust Scheme (RATS)
Easily modified and tax-efficient
A Retirement Annuity Trust Scheme (RATS) is a very tax-efficient Personal Pension Plan. It’s an approved offshore pension scheme that pays out income on a future date or series of dates. It can be paid out monthly, quarterly, annually or even in lump-sum payments.
A RATS functions similarly to a savings scheme. You can contribute to the RATS within prescribed limits and without having to pay tax. The limits depend on your age and your employment situation.
A RATS also allows you to draw down an income at retirement without having to buy a guaranteed lifetime annuity. What this means is that you can continue to receive revenue from the sum that remains in the annuity.
- Customised, flexible and portable
- Highly tax-efficient investment that sits within a retirement trust
- Can contain different types of assets
- Money can be borrowed from the retirement trust
- Charges are not concealed and are very reasonable